Scrambled eggs, or scramble, are different from classic fried eggs and scrambled eggs. We tell you what it is, how to cook it and what to serve it with.
What is scrambled eggs
The main ingredients in scrambled eggs are eggs and butter. This dish is distinguished by a slightly watery, airy texture and a mild taste.
Sometimes milk or cream is added to eggs, but here it is important not to overdo it. If there is too much liquid, then an omelette will turn out instead of chatter. Oil can be taken in both vegetables and butter. It all depends on what dish you want to get. For a more delicate taste and aroma, choose creamy, for a less high-calorie option – vegetable.
What is the difference between scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs
Both names hide one dish – a delicate egg soufflé. But if scrambled eggs is a more familiar name in Russia, then scramble is an American word.
Sometimes these dishes are prepared in different ways. The ingredients for scrambled eggs are mixed in a separate bowl before frying, and for scrambled eggs, they are broken immediately into the pan and stirred vigorously for 2-3 minutes until airy. However, the principle and taste of the dishes remain the same, so you can choose the option that you like best.
How to cook scrambled eggs
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them until light foam.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Pour the egg mass into it and start stirring lightly from side to side, but not from the bottom up.
- After the mass grabs a little, draw a spatula from the edges to the center. Do this several times until the eggs come together in lumps.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Remove the scrambled eggs from the heat when the eggs have set.
Despite the ease of preparation, chatter can be spoiled, and the dish will turn out not airy, but “rubber”.Here are some important rules that will help make the dish tasty:
- The mass should not stick during cooking. Therefore, choose a pan made of laminated aluminum with a non-stick coating. In addition, it is a safe material that retains the benefits of products.
- Preheat the oil in a frying pan. If cooking with butter, pour the egg mass immediately. Leave the vegetable oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, especially beaten eggs.
- Watch the time: turn off the dish when it is not yet ready. The scrambled eggs continue to cook in the hot pan.
- Choose good butter with a fat content of 82.5%.
- Stir the egg mass not too intensively to preserve the delicate texture of the scrambled eggs.
- The finished dish turns out to be a heterogeneous creamy texture. If you want a firmer consistency, fry the scrambled eggs for another 1-2 minutes, but do not overdo it, otherwise it will be dry.
- Add additional ingredients after the egg mass has set. But choose foods that do not require long cooking – for example, ham , herbs, cheese.
- Vegetables are best served fresh with scrambled eggs. If they are added during the cooking process, they will soak, give extra juice and ruin the texture of the dish.
- Salt and pepper at the end so that the scrambled eggs do not turn out watery.
What to eat with scrambled eggs
Scrambled eggs are good because they can be eaten not only as an independent dish. For example, instead of a regular egg, put it in homemade burgers on top of the sauce. Another option is to put scrambled eggs on toast. Complement it with slightly salted salmon, curd cheese, avocado and herbs. These products are perfectly combined with each other, and the taste is incredibly delicate.
For a spicy note, instead of fresh tomatoes, take sun-dried tomatoes and lightly pepper the filling. You can make a double sandwich and add bacon, chicken, tomatoes, pickles and lettuce to the eggs. Prepare the sauce: sour cream, mustard, peanut, or lingonberry. The dish will sparkle with new colors and be complete.
If scrambled eggs are the main dish, complement it, like the classic scrambled eggs, with tomatoes, ham or mushrooms. But prepare the filling separately.
Add spinach, or make scrambled eggs a full-fledged ingredient in a warm salad for a satisfying and unusual twist.
How else can you cook scrambled eggs
Scrambled eggs are cooked differently in every country. Let’s take a look at a couple of ideas.
- French style
Fried eggs are even more tender and airy due to the fact that they are steamed – in a water bath or in a double boiler. The eggs are stirred while heating, and when the first lumps form, butter is added.
- british style
This option is practically no different from the classic American. However, the eggs are mixed more thoroughly and are periodically removed from the heat. The texture is soft, but the liquid is less. Another secret of the British is to add butter not to the pan, but to the egg mass itself. In the process, it will melt, and the dish will turn out more creamy.
- Indian style
Fragrant spicy spices Indians put in scrambled eggs – it is called “anda bhurji”. Fried onions, tomatoes, ginger, and spices are added to Indian scrambled eggs. It retains a delicate texture, but the taste is brighter due to turmeric, pepper, and other spices.